In praise of old lenses #2 - 58mm Helios

Show your pictures to members for a non-critique discussion about them

In praise of old lenses #2 - 58mm Helios

Postby peterr » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:32 pm

Helios 44-2 58mm F2

Zenit cameras sold quite widely during the 1970s and early 1980s, with many using it as a first it as a step into 35mm SLR photography. The standard lens was usually a 58mm Helios lens and the popularity of the camera means that this lens is still quite easy to find today. The 42mm Praktica/Pentax screw thread makes it easy to adapt the lens to most modern DSLRs as well as Fuji X, micro four thirds and Sony E mount mirrorless cameras.

What can you expect from this lens? Well images that are very sharp when the lens is stopped down to between F5.6 and F11 and pleasing bokeh at larger apertures due to the 8 bladed diaphragm. It is possible to find a 58mm Helios in reasonable condition for less than £10 and given the design was based on that of the Carl Zeiss 58mm Biotar, you are getting the characteristics of a far more expensive lens at a budget price!

The image of the below was taken using my Helios 58mm F2 at the maximum (F2) aperture setting to try to capture the dreamy bokeh that it is capable of. By the way, the apple blossom is now out in the garden, so I have an alternative to tulips for my next bit of experimentation!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
peterr

Re: In praise of old lenses #2 - 58mm Helios

Postby peterr » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:39 pm

Note that I am not saying that the old lenses are better than the newer equivalents Peter. Far from it. However, when you think that a good condition Pentax K mount 50mm F1.4 lens from the early 1980s can be found for between £50 and £100 and the current Pentax full frame 50mm F1.4 retails at over £1000, the old version does represent good value.
peterr

Return to Take a look at this!