Silver Efex Pro 2 no longer working

Post your question here for consideration by members who know the answer!

Silver Efex Pro 2 no longer working

Postby peterr » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:50 pm

My laptop did a Windows 10 update last night and since then (coincidence ?) Silver Efex Pro 2 (the version that Google made available for free) has stopped working. I get a program crash report every time I try to start it. Has anyone else had a problem? Any suggestions on how to sort it, or is the only solution to purchase the new version? I have tried rebooting the laptop, but it makes no difference.

PeterR
Last edited by peterr on Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peterr

Re: Silver Efex Pro 2 no longer working

Postby PeterJ » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:01 am

There is a thread running on DPReview about this (Silver Efex), it would appear that it has been affected by the update. People are looking for an alternative but the only suggestion that made any sense was that Adobe Photoshop could do something similar, no-one knew of anything better out there (yet).

Please let me know if you do get it back, it might just be one of these things like Printer Drives that are updated 'eventually'...

I share your frustration, my Google Chromecast stopped working as it had before the update, grrrr!

Kindest regards

Peter
PeterJ

Postby PeterJ » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:15 am

Hi Peter, again.

I've jut done a bit more research and it would appear that Google have sold Efex to DXO who are now selling it for £125. There is a free 30 day trial but over to you on that one...

Hope this 'helps'

Peter
PeterJ

Postby peterr » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:16 pm

Thanks Peter. Yes, I was aware that the Nik Collection can now be purchased from DxO. Paying the fee to download the new version is probably the way I will have to go, but annoyingly it was on special offer a few weeks ago and is now back up to full price. Speaking to a couple of other club members, it sounds like the latest Windows 10 update is the cause of the issue with the old version. However, I have found that it will still function on my older laptop which runs under Windows 7, so I may just soldier on with that and look out for the next time the new version is on special offer.
peterr

Postby LinM » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:04 am

My old version downloaded from Google works on my mac most of the time but then suddenly the wheel will start whirring and it closes Photoshop and dumps me out. I have found that this happens less if I don't cancel the Nik layer and just delete it afterwards. I was thinking about upgrading too and wish I had done it when the offer was on. Hey ho. Hindsight is a wonderfully annoying thing.
LinM

Postby PhilC » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:02 am

Updated win 10 (on an i5 laptop) a couple of nights ago, after reading this thread, with trepidation... but, after an eternity of waiting, all is fine and the old Nik plug-ins are still working for me, in PS CS4. I do have v1 of dxo photo studio if that is relevant. The plugins are still ok in Affinity 1.7 that I’m moving towards. The new win 10 update seems to be running faster, so I’m happy at the moment.
PhilC

Postby peterr » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:17 pm

After experimenting and trying various things over the past few weeks I think I've finally got it sorted. The relevant message in the crash file was:

"Found more GPUs via WMI than EnumDisplayDevices"

It would appear that my laptop (like quite a few others) has two GPUs installed. The problem is fixed by disabling one of the two display adaptors. However, that doesn't answer the question as to why it all worked fine until a couple of weeks ago ……

Thanks for all who have offered advice and suggestions.
peterr

Return to Help me!