Welsh waterfalls trip - October

Peter Richardson (PeterR) will head this group which intends to expand the skill of those interested in landscape photography. Group meetings will include discussion and occasional field trips.

Welsh waterfalls trip - October

Postby peterr » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:21 am

This will be to the Welsh waterfalls in the Ystradfellte area, taking in Sgwd yr Eira, Sgwd Isaf Clun gwyn and Sgwd Y Pannwr. The date will be Friday 13th October (we aren't superstitious are we?), but given this autumn looks likely to be predominantly wet and stormy we will keep a back up date of Friday 20th October just in case the 13th proves to be a washout. Note that this trip will involve 4 or 5 miles of fairly hard walking, so walking boots are recommended. We will leave Malvern at 9:30a.m. with the aim to get back before 7p.m. Please indicate interest below and also state whether available on the 13th October, 20th October, or both dates.
peterr

Re: Welsh waterfalls trip - October

Postby MarilynNS » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:15 pm

I am free both days and would like to come. No sun would suit me as I do not have any filters!
Marilyn
MarilynNS

Postby LinM » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:06 pm

Hi Peter,
Is that 4 or 5 miles in total or each way? My knee would manage the latter without any dramas, I think; haven't tested it on longer distances.
LinM

Postby cliffw » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:22 pm

Peter 13th October only

Off to Scotland on the 20th

Cliff
"Being there to take the shot is paramount!
cliffw

Postby MarkH » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:11 pm

I would like to come on the 13th, but not sure about the 20th until nearer the time.
MarkH

Postby peterr » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:00 am

LinM wrote:
Is that 4 or 5 miles in total or each way? My knee would manage the latter without any dramas, I think; haven't tested it on longer distances.

It will be between 4 and 5 miles in total Linda, but with some fairly steep gradients. From memory, I think the steepest is down to Sgwd yr Eira (the waterfall that you can walk behind), but I think there are some steps which make it a bit easier.
peterr

Postby MarilynNS » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:54 am

Linda stout boots a must with ankle support if you have them, I have a knee brace you could borrow if the need arises. The ground is uneven and that is what gives the old knees some jip. I will keep you company at the back nursing my own knee!
MarilynNS

Postby peterr » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:07 pm

I should also add that although the walking conditions are quite testing, with the paths being quite steep and rocky near the falls themselves, this isn't intended to be a route march. Good footwear is a must, but we will take it slowly and if we only get to two of the waterfalls I listed, then fair enough. The main aim is to come away with some great landscape photographs and there is every chance because these falls can be absolutely stunning in autumn.
peterr

Postby PhilC » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:55 am

Hi Peter. Count me in! (Will be coming from Hereford environs). By the way, 'Country Walking' magazine has a feature on this waterfall this month. Looking forward to 13th.
PhilC

Postby LinM » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:18 am

I think 13th is looking possible for me. Perhaps we can discuss next Thursday? D might like to come - not sure yet - for the walk part and we could meet you. I will endeavour to get a decision from her by next Thursday. The possibility of being picked up is quite appealing as I drive so much to get to club events. Thanks also for the offer of a knee brace; I have a number. The only thing that would deter me is wet weather as my knee reconstruction is not fond of slippery stuff. Thanks.
LinM

Postby rogerb » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:23 pm

I am free both days and am planning to be there whichever day is eventually chosen. I will have a car and I know how to get there.

Best wishes

Roger
rogerb

Postby peterr » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:44 pm

Glad to have you along Roger. Your knowledge of the location will prove extremely useful.
peterr

Postby peterr » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:11 pm

My mother has been taken into hospital, so to cut a long story short it is going to have to be Friday 20th October. I have also heard from Cliff that he now can't make 13th. The weather outlook for end of this week is not that good in any case. Hopefully it will be better the following week.

So far we have:
RogerB
MarilynNS
MarkH (?)
MarcB
PhilC (?)
LinM (?).

MarkH, LinM, PhilC: Can you please confirm that you can make the 20th?

Anyone else interested?

Plan will be the same leave Malvern at 09:30 prompt with aim to get back by 7p.m.
peterr

Postby MarkH » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:47 pm

Yes, I can make 20th Oct, so let’s hope for better weather.
MarkH

Postby PhilC » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:52 pm

Hi all; I'm fine with 20th. I hope all is well with mum and you're ok with stress levels. The sound of running water may be therapeutic? Best regards
PhilC

Next

Return to Landscape