Dog running on beach

Post your images here for a (perhaps frank!) appraisal by other club members

Dog running on beach

Postby peterr » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:43 pm

Exercise for me equates to a run without a weight handicap (i.e. no camera) and I'm starting to get very slightly bored of photography in the garden, so today I've been looking through my images from Easter 2019. One of the images I came across was this one of a dog being exercised at Whitley Bay. Perhaps a bit controversial, but I quite like this type of image. Feedback welcomed. A similar effort submitted to a CWT comp five years ago got a very mixed reception.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
peterr

Re: Dog running on beach

Postby RuaridhM » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:21 pm

I like the blurred background, which effectively conveys the idea of speed, and if there are any potential bright or high contrast distractions in that background the blurring has eliminated them. However, the dog itself is too blurred for my liking.
RuaridhM
Club Secretary

Re: Dog running on beach

Postby IanT » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:25 am

As a confirmed 'sharpie', I do in fact appreciate blur where blur is useful to the story. Here is such a case but if it was mine, I'd lose the darker band at the top and crop from the left so as to put the dog further to the left. Also, almost impossible to enact after the event (or even maybe during it!), there will be microseconds when the dog's head is nearly stationary relative to everything else and when panning (as you have here) there will be minor opportunities to grab such a frame. It's with the gods and your camerra's continuous shooting speed rather than your skill, though!
IanT
Internal CompSec

Return to Critique thread