In praise of old lenses #4

Show your pictures to members for a non-critique discussion about them

In praise of old lenses #4

Postby billf » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:24 pm

DaffodilDoors and windows 2.jpg
Heres my offering, a daffodil as my tulips are a bit ragged.

This is taken with an Olympus Zuiko 55m at F1.2 with a conversion ring onto Cannon 5D mk 2 full frame.

Fully open at F1.2 the DOF is so shallow its almost impossible to manage but I have fun trying, it gets much sharper F2 and smaller.....bit of fun though and current Canon prime this fast is v expensive but very good I will concede!

See you all later on Zoom

Cheers

Bill Fleming
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
billf

Re: In praise of old lenses #4

Postby peterr » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:48 pm

55mm F1.2 8)
That's a bit more exotic and I suspect a little bit pricier than my 58mm F2 Helios.
peterr

Postby billf » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:38 pm

I got it secondhand through the club. A member of the public approached BCC and it was offered to club members at a lot less than it would have been through eBay so I was glad to give it a good home. I think it has actually increased in value not that I have any intention of selling it!
I think we both share a fondness for a bit of history.
Cheers
Bill Fleming
billf

Postby peterr » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:27 am

You did very well. I'm still looking out for a Pentax A 50mm F1.2 at a reasonable price.
peterr

Postby rogerb » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:52 pm

Your picture makes me want one! I occasionally use the f1.4 equivalent, and wide open it is even softer than yours, and a slightly milky appearance, which is great if that is what you want, but most of the time is not. By f2 it has sharpens up enormously.
rogerb

Postby peterr » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:23 pm

Out of the old 1970s F1.2 lenses the Chinon/Tomioka is thought of as being about the best. Unfortunately, this is now well known hence the astronomically high prices they go for on ebay. I do have the more modest F1.4, which is also very good. I might post some results from it later on during the lockdown.
peterr

Postby billf » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:51 pm

Fascinating to hear of these old lenses gatting a run out, glad you like the daffodil, looking to see some more examples of them in action.

It is interesting to see what a difference to sharpness closing to f2 makes,and also easier to use as DOF no where near as shallow.

The bokeh produced isn't everyone's cup of tea and suits some subjects more than others.

I've not come across the Chinon/Tokina lens, sounds fun.

There were 2 versions of the Olympus 55 f1.2, the first had a silver filter ring and had a Thorium lens component which made it radioactive! Mine is the non radioactive version. There were many old lenses from lots of manufacturers which were radioactive and more common than I thought.

I don't think that would be allowed today!

Part of the fun for me is that it was a "fantasy lens" when I was a student and could never afford it, bit like buying a classic car that you coveted when it was new.

Cheers

Bill Fleming
billf

Postby peterr » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:41 pm

Billf wrote
I've not come across the Chinon/Tokina lens, sounds fun.

Tomioka (no relationship to Tokina) were a Japanese lens manufacturer who produced the lenses for Yashica cameras in the 1970s. The lenses were very highly regarded and the Tomioka factory also manufactured some lenses for Carl Zeiss for the Contax RTS. What is less well known is that Tomioka also produced some lenses for Chinon which (you will probably remember) was a camera brand that was solely sold by Dixons in the UK. The Chinon lenses that were (and those that weren't) made by Tomioka are now becoming common knowledge, hence there aren't so many bargains out there. :(

by the way, I also have a Thorium coated radioactive lens - a Pentax K 50mm F1.4 which is almost permanently mounted on my Pentax LX.
peterr

Postby IanT » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:44 am

Here's a weird chimera....A Canon camera hosting a Nikon lens. It can happen if you leave them alone together long enough. A bit like pandas...

Nah, it's due to the mount-sensor depth on a Nikon camera being greater than that for a Canon, so a slim adapter can be inserted to change the mount. Completely manual, of course, this 1970 55mm f/1.2 has mental sharpness and the bokeh at wide aperture is as smooth as civet-turd coffee. It has more than held its value, being worth around £450 today.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IanT
Internal CompSec

Postby billf » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:56 pm

That is a combo!
Love to see some images from it.
The glass they used for these lenses must have been of exceptional quality hence the price.
Cheers
Bill
billf

Postby peterr » Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:00 pm

Would be interested in seeing what it is capable of Ian. Not just Nikon of course with Canon EOS, the narrow register distance means that there is a very wide choice of old lenses that can be adapted without losing infinity focus. In addition to Nikon and Olympus OM, there are also Praktica/Pentax M42, Pentax K, Leica R and Yashica/Contax. There may even be more that I've missed off the list.

[Just seen your post Bill: I think it is rarity that has pushed up the price of the F1.2s so much. I don't think the glass is that much better than you would get with the F1.4s - although there is a bit more of it.]
peterr

Postby PhilC » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:10 pm

Of course, historically, the oldest and greatest top end Canon rangefinder cameras, eg Hansa range, had Nikkorr lenses... post war cost cutting forced Canon to restructure, and Nikon started making their own cameras for US servicemen. Look for a NIKKOR in a Leica mount...
PhilC

Postby billf » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:11 pm

What a wealth of knowledge resides in our wonderful camera club! Learning something new every day.
Cheers
Bill
billf

Return to Take a look at this!