An old Tamron lens

Show your pictures to members for a non-critique discussion about them

An old Tamron lens

Postby rogerb » Sat May 16, 2020 9:54 am

Among many other old lenses, I have two Tamron Adaptall lenses (designed so you could fit a mount for whatever make of camera you were using). One that was praised highly in its day was the SP180 f2.5. The problem with it was its weight, even by the standards of modern Canon or Sony lenses. It is very dense so must have a lot of heavy glass inside. It received rave reviews for its sharpness and Bokeh when it came out, though I did not get it then. Mine was bought from Jessops in Birmingham New Street (yes, it used to be there). I went in attracted by the £15 price tag, but bought it even though they explained that was a mistake and it should have said £150, and they would withdraw it from sale. Only 3,000 were made, and the only one I can see on ebay right now is going for £779, though my guess is that is overpriced.

_5161327-web.jpg

An Iris taken with it. From the shutter speeds, my guess is that the first is at f2.5 and the second stopped down to f8.

_A7R6508-web.jpg

_A7R6505-web.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rogerb

Re: An old Tamron lens

Postby peterr » Sat May 16, 2020 10:57 am

A bit special this one - a collector's item rather than a "user". I do hope it continues to appreciate in value. You got it at a good price, but, like you, I can't see the sense in paying over £700 for one, especially as discovery of a few small few specks of fungus in the lens in four or five years time would probably knock well over 50% off the value.
peterr

Return to Take a look at this!