Another old Tamron lens

Show your pictures to members for a non-critique discussion about them

Another old Tamron lens

Postby rogerb » Sat May 16, 2020 10:11 am

The other is the SP35-80, f2.8-3.8: model 01A. This is a much more modest lens, with a limited zoom range by modern standards, with no brass plaque on the side, but also is widely considered unusually good for a zoom lens. Its most notable feature is that the extends a long way and puts in a very respectable performance as a close-up lens: it goes to 1:2.5 without tubes or converter, or almost to 1:1 with a 2x teleconverter, as you will see from the markings on the barrel.

_5161328-web.jpg

_5161329-web.jpg

Some shots with it, the one of the matchbox car being completely un-cropped. They are all stopped down a fair bit and the car is on f22.

_A7R6512-web.jpg

_A7R6532-web.jpg

_A7R6534-web.jpg

Am I praising them like Peter? Yes, but perhaps with more reservations. The SP180 is very heavy and makes me appreciate a modern autofocus lens, and though it is very good for its age (and it might prove to have been a good investment financially), I am not claiming it can compete with the best Sony or Canon lenses. The same goes for the SP35-80, the nuisance there being that I am sure my hands are less steady than most, so I really appreciate image stabilization. Manual zooms are a problem because every time you zoom in or out, you have to remember to change the focal length setting in the camera, otherwise the stablization may work against you rather than with you (if it is seriously wrong).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rogerb

Re: Another old Tamron lens

Postby peterr » Sat May 16, 2020 10:43 am

The second shot is excellent Roger. Another competition winner methinks.

The 35-80mm F3.8 01A was considered to be one of the finest zoom lenses in its day. I think there are are two versions and I think you have the better one.

I do agree that modern equivalents will in general give higher IQ, it is more a case of price v performance. I think the example I gave previously is a good one. A full frame DFA* Pentax 50mm F1.4 would cost me over £1000, but providing I can live with manual focus, I can pick up some wonderful old 50mm F1.4 lenses at less than a tenth of the price. In addition, the build quality of some of the lenses made 40-50 years ago is extremely high and the fact that there are so many that still have buttery smooth focusing, fully functioning apertures, and clear optics bears testament to this.

I would also add the point I made previously, that the arguments for buying an old zoom lens are less strong than those for buying an old prime lens.
Last edited by peterr on Sat May 16, 2020 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
peterr

Re: Another old Tamron lens

Postby peterr » Sat May 16, 2020 11:01 am

Forgot to say - also like your new car :D
peterr

Return to Take a look at this!