Sensor Cleaning recommendations?

Post your question here for consideration by members who know the answer!

Sensor Cleaning recommendations?

Postby PhilipH » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:11 pm

I have to clean the sensor of my micro 4/3 camera for the first time. as with everything there's too much choice of products. Does anyone have any tips or recommendations for sensor cleaning?
PhilipH

Re: Sensor Cleaning recommendations?

Postby IanT » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:50 am

There are two points of view here:
1) If you have a few small dust spots, be tolerant and simply use your 'spot removal' tool in your editor.
2) If you've sneezed intot he mirror box, (or changed a lens whilst on a beach in a storm) a wet clean will be required.
For (1) an 'Arctic Butterfly' is best. Almost non-contact, it removes dust using static electricity. But not cheap to buy.
For (2) and only for extreme cases, unless you are very confident, get it done professionally. It's all too easy to scratch the cover glass on a sensor, which will require eternal work in your editor thereafter.

I would avoid anything which requires 'wiping' the sensor. There are plenty of enticing products out there, but they offer no guarantees, either to remove the dust or not to scratch the sensor.
IanT
Internal CompSec

Re: Sensor Cleaning recommendations?

Postby PhilipH » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:41 am

Thanks Ian. You put your finger right on my concern - the risk of making things worse. There was a small hair which I had easily removed with an old blower with the camera face down. But then on closer inspection I noticed a couple of small specs. Think I'll leave it until I can get it into a camera shop.
PhilipH

Return to Help me!