Affinity on offer again

Visit the coffee shop for a general chat about anything....

Affinity on offer again

Postby mattd » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:16 pm

Just read they have cut the price 'to help creatives in this difficult time' the free trial period has been extended also. Worth a look for anyone not wanting to pay the photoshop monthly fee
mattd

Re: Affinity on offer again

Postby rogerb » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:32 am

Thank you for pointing this out. One thing Affinity don't seem to be good at is updating their emails. I got one this morning that gave the full price and did not mention extended trial period. My 10 days' trial was about to expire, but on reading your post, it was easy to extend this to 90 days.

Unfortunately the price comparison can be viewed differently. If I took out an Adobe subscription, it would be to get Lightroom, so Photoshop could be seen as a free bonus, making Affinity look expensive. But I will probably decide Affinity is well worth the £23.99 it now costs.
rogerb

Postby mattd » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:15 pm

You're welcome :D

I am finding Affinity a perfectly good replacement for photoshop, but agree that Lightroom is harder to replace. I am currently using 'Rawtherapee' which is free and will view and edit raw files in the same way, but I am missing some of the library facilities as this software can only look in one folder at a time not build collections, so finding a certain image relies on me knowing where I stored it. Not easy with my older stuff which is largely date not descriptively stored.
mattd

Postby SimonP » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:02 pm

Just stumbled across Serif's current offer : https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/supporting-the-creative-community/
I'm not a user (although seriously tempted to try it) so no idea how recently this has appeared or what the expiry date might be but a 90-day trial or half price purchase seem exceptional value.
Cheers
Simon
SimonP
Chairman

Postby rogerb » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:42 am

It is good value, though personally I find the interface a little unfriendly, though I am sure more practice would solve that. The thing to watch on price is that Affinity treats PC and Mac apps as different products, so if you want both, you have to pay twice. Unless it has changed, Adobe's fee covers both PC and Mac. Affinity Designer and Publisher are also good, and the same price.
rogerb

Postby PhilC » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:15 pm

I’ve had Affinity Photo for 4 years, I paid £24 = 50 pence per month, with free updates continuing.
Adobe costs £500 over 4 years at present rates and then stops working unless you renew = 1,000 pence per month. Or a new midrange camera.

I principally use DxO PhotoLab 4 for the bulk of my work, that has by far the best noise reduction in DeepPrime. Updates are usually discounted, but the software will continue to work in perpetuity.

A major reason that Adobe continues to rule is that alternative software has to be learnt, but I find DxO a timesaver for bulk processing RAW files. (Don’t get it if you have a Fuji.)
PhilC

Return to Coffee shop