Tiffen Pro Mist filters

Visit the coffee shop for a general chat about anything....

Tiffen Pro Mist filters

Postby BrianMet » Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:31 am

Hi All,
I thought I would give my take on the black pro mist filters I know some members have one and others haven't a clue what they are. So here goes

First off this filter seems to go against everything I thought I knew about filters.
Second I don't understand the physics of the thing or how it works

But, what it does, it has the amazing ability to pull back the highlights and stops them being burnt out, it's not a soft focus filter but has the ability to kill the digital clean look maintaining quality and sharpens but giving a softer look, blacks look richer and the appearance of thing would suggest some kind of ND (neutral density filter) it's not it doesn't affect the exposure.

I bought the Tiffen version about a year ago, expensive but an amazing piece of glass there are others available but be careful of the quality.

How it all came about, I was searching through some colour grading techniques some time ago and came across this type of filter, Hollywood cinematographers were using them to get away from the digital look of modern cameras especially in the hi def video use, as the physics of the things crossover to film emulation really well.

Check out a few YouTube videos oh and I love mine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BrianMet

Return to Coffee shop